If I Had Been the Only Child Then

If I had been the only child then
instead of one of nine
the home would have sung with peace and quiet,
the yard, gleamed with the greenest grass,
the toys, been sorted just-so.

No brothers would have interrupted sleepovers,
stormed in on “GIRLS ONLY” signs,
and turned playful, Poly-fil fights
into pretend, down-filled ambushes,
resulting in real, bloody head injuries.

Kindergarten homework assignments would have been a breeze:
when asked to draw my family,
my hand would not have cramped up.
I would have had time with which to color neatly
and room for my cat (like the others did).

Perhaps I would have been a talker
if two sisters hadn’t talked enough for all four of us girls.
If the fireman had had eight fewer mouths to feed,
would I have eaten their shares, keeping my own mouth too occupied,
or talked nine times more and eaten nine times less?

Perhaps, but what do I know outside of
stealing floral dresses from sisters’ closets
because my own was an ombré sea of browns and grays,
stealing across the hall into the boys’ room
to swap spooky stories under a glowing flashlight beam?

How could I manage without ever
riding piggy-back through the halls,
brandishing a plastic sword and holding it aloft,
jumping from couch to cushion
while a human alligator chased my toes?

If I had been the only child then,
instead of one of nine,
the house would have echoed with eerie silence,
the yard would have wanted for joyful puddles,
and the toys would have frozen to their organized spots.

Comments

  1. After going back through all of my poems from this semester, I feel that this poem is the heart of the project. "Where would I be without my siblings?' is basically the inspiration that's lying beneath all of these. My conclusion? I likely wouldn't even recognize myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, this is so awesome. I only had one sister and brother but i cant imagine my life without them.

      Delete
  2. This picture has been edited using PicsArt. I was in tenth grade (still in Texas) when this picture was taken, and we were visiting my older siblings in West Virginia. It was kind of a spontaneous thing, so it's most of us siblings, but also our grandmother, mother, and a handful of my nephews/nieces. Few of us were actually paying attention to the camera, so it's a very candid and silly shot. I've always felt that I look genuinely happy in this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started here today and broke down at the cramped up hand. I cannot read another right now because my eyes are really leaking 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I’ve nominated you for a Liebster Award! This is an appreciation award bloggers give to other bloggers. If you’d like to participate, read the rules here: https://thesilverfashionista.blogspot.com/2021/01/i-was-nominated-for-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment