A Robinson

She's walking cautiously over.
I'm watching through window decals
and a scant layer of dirt,
and although she's blurry through the warped glass,
I know I've seen that face before:
the nose long and sharp,
the eyes large and dark,
the smirk of unsure confidence flickering on and off.
Her manner is dominant
yet meek,
as if she were inherently shy,
but someone raised her to think
that her brothers
were the epitome of "cool."
Black, short, laced boots kick out left and right,
while a small cuff in the blue jeans contradicts
the casual, muted look.
As she opens the door,
it comes to me at last:
a Robinson.
That's who she is.

Comments

  1. Because I have eight siblings, I often meet people who, unbeknownst to me, know one or more of my siblings. Because of this, they usually do double-takes when I meet them for the first time, pause the conversation to ask my last name, or say that they swear they've met me before. Our family tends to have two looks, though: the brown-haired, brown-eyed look of my mother and the blond-haired, blue-eyed look of my father. Here, I'm referencing the dark-haired look because that's what I have. I've gone through phases in which I resented the, "Oh, you're a Robinson!" comment simply because it makes the person treat me differently, but I've learned to take pride in the different treatment, because when someone recognizes me as a Robinson now, that means they know a bit more about where I come from, and that makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually a picture of my grandpa's family. He's the fourth kid from the right, looking away from the camera. This came from a book that my grandpa compiled about his life. There's an entry for everything he ever thought was important to talk about. I haven't gotten through the whole thing, but when he passed away back in August of 2017, I found this photo while reading his work, and I couldn't believe how much he looked like one of my brothers and one of my nephews. As I flipped through more, I realized that the Robinson boys had a very distinct look to them, almost to where you couldn't tell one from the other. My brothers have seemed like that at times, but mostly in the way that they talk. Any time I'm around someone who's talking on the phone to one of them, I usually give up on trying to guess which of the five is calling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This photo was edited by me using PicsArt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment