Bathtub Bubble Beards

An innocence unknown
to years that feel like centuries
since we splashed in the warm water
until suds overflowed onto tiles.

A joy untold,
of scrubbing off outdoor remains
- soil, grass, twigs -
until our skin shone squeaky pink.

A feeling forgotten,
for pruney, wrinkly hands,
once used to play old people,
are now mimicked in our faces’ corners.

A memory resurfaced,
as I tug on my brother’s red bristles,
remembering sisters’ bathtub bubble beards,
white as the forming streaks in his own, trimmed goatee.

Comments

  1. This free-verse poem has a nostalgic and melancholic tone. I wrestled with myself about writing this one because I felt it might be too awkward for the reader. However, I feel that I successfully portrayed the idea of looking into your siblings' eyes one moment only to find that they're wiser the next, so I felt confident enough to include it here. I pray that my siblings and I all have many more years with which to recognize that we are all growing older together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This image was created using PicsArt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment