The Beige Couch

Up is down
when you're hanging your head
off the edge
of the beige couch.
Lights become blurred orbs,
shadows melt into their objects
passersby go unnoticed,
even in a house of eleven.
Sometimes they join you,
begin to understand the way your mind
wanders,
feel the tingly sensation
of blood rushing to already-swimming eyes.
Thoughts become webbed and plunging
- abstract -
as abstract as the crooked image
of the siblings
upside-down
hanging their tiny heads
off the edge
of the beige couch.

Comments

  1. I questioned whether or not this poem would ring with memory for anyone but myself. I found it odd that, when looking back on my childhood and trying to find fond memories, I remembered many that were upsidedown. The "beige couch" was actually a loveseat, but when you're eight, you don't understand the difference; that's why two of my sisters and I have a picture of us and my dad all piled on this couch, about to take a nap. I have no idea where this loveseat went, but I have many fond memories asscociated with hanging upsidedown off of it, just watching the world go by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture was created using PicsArt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment